At the early stages of your career make yourself available and keep plugging away. If you’re good enough, opportunities will come your way.
Deputy Home Editor
My advice for prospective journalists would be: make sure you’ve got a voice and people know you’re someone who can get hold of information.
Multimedia Producer and Print Journalist
The Times and The Sunday Times
I chose Goldsmiths because some senior Pakistani journalists advised me that Goldsmiths is the best choice for media studies.
Working on a real publication like EastLondonLines provides valuable experience and Goldsmiths feels like its at the forefront of digital multi-media.
Deputy National Editor
I’d always thought I’d end up as a newspaper reporter or political lobbyist, but a year at Goldsmiths allowed me to explore other options.
Lena De Casparis
I use skills that I learnt on my MA every day without really thinking about it. I got used to being very busy and doing a bit of everything.
Social media journalist
The Independent and The i
Journalism at Goldsmiths University of London
Goldsmiths’ Journalism MA covers everything from online news to digital methods and magazine production. It is taught by highly skilled industry professionals and students are encouraged to consider the place of ethical journalism in a changing society.
This course is accredited by the Periodical Publishers Association. In 2014 they commended us on:
- The passion of the course team – clearly wanting the best for students
- Sticking to low numbers and interviewing candidates, which assures the a quality of both the students and their experience
- Focusing on building students’ knowledge, skills, practice and confidence
- Understanding that being fully conversant with what’s going on industry is crucial to a successful course
- Making smart use of contacts
- EastLondonLines – live, proper journalism
They said: “There is nothing to be improved on. We can’t find fault with this course!”
For more on the MA Journalism programme
Goldsmiths provides a range of journalism post-graduate courses: MA Digital Journalism, MATV Journalism, MA Radio. We also have undergraduate degrees: BA Journalism and Media and Communications [which includes a course in magazine journalism].